There is a clear correlation between attainment and good attendance. It is a priority at Thirsk School & Sixth Form College to ensure that all students maintain a high standard of attendance. In order to achieve the above the following systems are in operation at Thirsk School.
Our Attendance Officer is employed to administer the attendance of individual students and groups within the school.
- Computerised attendance system which allows for close monitoring of attendance.
- Lesson by lesson monitoring
- Clear procedures on attendance and punctuality
- Promotion of the importance of good attendance to pupils and their parents
- Use of data and other information to improve school and pupil performance
- Early intervention when individual pupil's absence gives cause for concern
- Support systems in place for vulnerable children, e.g. Teaching Assistant for Service Children, Teaching Assistant for students who have English as an additional language, Polish Support Worker
- Rewards and celebrations of good and improved attendance – special non-uniform days for achieving 100% attendance
- Additional support for pupils and parents with greatest need
- Close liaison and support from our Education Welfare Officer, Kay Sparrow.
The Parental Guidance Leaflet for Attendance can be viewed here.
Each half term, students who have achieved 100% attendance during that period are rewarded with a non-uniform day