Skip to content ↓

Thirsk School

& Sixth Form College

    Electronics

    In KS4 Electronics we study the following :

    • participating in a range of specific learning tasks including self directing our own design and making items
    • studying a wide range of electronic, mathematical and scientific skills centering on the design and manufacture of electronic circuits
    • bistable circuits
    • astable circuits
    • monostable circuits
    • transducer drivers
    • voltage amplifiers
    • comparators
    • logic
    • programmable Interface Controller
    • sensors
    • outputs

    Assessment :

    Student work is assessed in line with the criteria outlined in the subject specification and graded accordingly. All electronic project work will be assessed under the following headings

    • planning and research
    • ideas and presentation
    • practical making
    • testing and evaluation

    These form the basis for all project based learning assessment together with an overarching attention to:

    • accuracy and precision
    • quality finish.
    • Essentially the project work is judged on “Could an outsider look and your work and understand how and why you have arrived at the conclusions you have drawn both in the design aspects and the making of the electronic product.”
    • verbal, written and numeric feedback and the assessment will be undertaken by staff, peers and self
    • controlled assessment project worth 60% of the final mark and a terminal examination worth the remaining 40%
    • coursework project (controlled assessment) is based on a question, chosen from three, set by the board which runs for 40 hours usually in the autumn term of year
    • the controlled assessment is externally moderated

    Teachers of KS4 Electronics :

    Mrs W Miller - Head of Department