France & Germany
Year 7 and 8 MFL trip to France and Germany
Every two years the Modern Languages Department at Thirsk School organises a year 7 and 8 trip to the Alsace region of France and Baden-Württemberg in southwest Germany. Half of our pupils learn German as a first foreign language and the other half learn French. Therefore visiting this region of Europe enables all of our pupils, regardless of which foreign language they learn, to visit the country where their first foreign language is spoken.
The trip acts as a stepping stone to participating on the exchange when they are a little older. Pupils participate in a wide range of interesting and enjoyable activities, some of which are listed below.
- Boat trip in the historical centre of Strasbourg
- Visit to the historical town of Freiburg
- Visit to the beautiful village of Riquewihr
- Trip on a cable car into the Black Forest
- A day’s visit to a theme park
- A range of sporting and leisure activities
During the trip pupils are able to practise some of the transactional language they have learnt in lessons, get to know a little about the history of the Alsace region and the importance of Strasbourg as the seat of the European Parliament as well as have lots of fun.