Skip to content ↓

Thirsk School

& Sixth Form College

    Graphics

    In KS4 Graphics we study the following :

    • participating in a range of specific learning tasks and self directed design and making activities
    • aim to cover a wide range of graphic and technical drawing based skills centring on the design and presentation of graphic information
    • isometric drawing
    • perspective drawing
    • orthographic drawing
    • shape and form
    • colour and shade
    • model making
    • developing a secure understanding of the techniques and skills necessary for the design and production of quality graphic solutions

    Assessment :

    Student work is assessed in line with the criteria outlined in the subject specification and graded accordingly. All graphic solutions will be assessed under the following headings

    • planning and research
    • ideas and presentation
    • practical model making
    • testing and evaluation

    These form the basis for all project based learning assessment together with an overarching attention to:

    • accuracy and precision
    • quality finish.
    • essentially the project work is judged on “Could an outsider look and your work and understand how and why you have arrived at the conclusions you have drawn both in the design aspects and the making of the graphic product.”
    • verbal, written and numeric feedback will be given throughout the course and the assessment will be undertaken by staff, peers and self
    • there is a controlled assessment project worth 60% of the final mark and a terminal examination worth the remaining 40%
    • the coursework project (controlled assessment) is based on a question, chosen from three , set by the board which runs for 40 hours usually in the autumn term of year 11
    • controlled assessment is externally moderated

    Learning beyond the classroom :

    • using extra curricular time throughout the course is expected in order to complete project
    • using available lunchtime sessions which are held throughout the year
    • practicing the skills taught - this is essential, repeating the techniques repeatedly for yourself is the only way to learn
    • taking an interest in the world of graphic presentation
    • thinking about what we see in the world about us, how it has been presented, why has it been presented and what are the environmental implications of its production
    • being aware of graphic technological advancement
    • being aware of historic graphic advancement

    Teachers of KS4 Graphics :

    Mrs W Miller - Head of Department